World Machine has been finding fans ever since its first release over five years ago.
Check out a few of the things people have
been saying! And for more visual examples, check out the Render Gallery.
- "World-Machine is definitely the best and most intuitive way to create complex landscapes. Especially the erosion algorithms are top-notch. The power of the software paired up with the node workflow makes for the ideal terrain generation tool for me."
Frank Willeke, 3D artistwww.c4d-jack.de
- "World Machine was instrumental in creating the terrain for our Supersonic Sled demo. We needed a very large landscape and wanted something natural-looking but with enough control that we could place canyons and hills exactly where needed. World Machine handled all of that beautifully."
Steve Burke, NVIDIA demo teamwww.nvidia.com/object/cool_stuff.html#/demos/2117
- "World Machine is straightforward to use, plain fun to work with and due to its open structure excellent to use in conjunction with any workflow."
Peter Stulz, Architectural Visualisationwww.xoio.de
- "World Machine is great and what is important affordable tool for terrain generation. It made my development easier straight out of box as it is easy to use and results are fantastic !
- "I love the procedural approach like in houdini and its erosion features are really great."
haggi, haggis vfx & animation
- "World machine gives us the power to create very realistic terrains in a short amount of time. Its node based structure allows us to edit the look of our terrains in an almost real time fashion, allowing us to change our levels very quickly. Its erosion filters are the best I have seen but also give a lot of control over the final look. i would recommend this to any development studio that needs very realistic terrains, quickly!"
Kenny Lammers, Technical Art Director, Microsoft Games Studio
- "World Machine is quick, effective, and intuitive.
The biggest problem I have with graphic design is that, if you're distracted, you lose that terrific concept you have in your mind's eye.
Using World Machine, you can go from that initial inspiration to finished artwork so effectively that your original concept stays pure."
Stuart Dall, graphic artist
- "It is so powerful that I enjoy making terrains."
Weon Lee, Game Writer of NEXON
- "Most innovative, and fun terrain generation. Leads the pack in user interface."
- "The graph-based approach to driving procedurals has long proven itself as immensely powerful and versatile and World Machine brings this approach to the world of terrain creation."
- "One of the biggest limiting things in terrain editors these days is the fact that they usually only output to a select range of destinations with a certain range of files. For example, some terrain editors output alpha-splat maps in certain formats (e.g. RGB or RGBA) or they just plain don't output the things that you need (e.g. zone map for a game). The great thing about World Machine is that anything you need it to output is just a couple wiring devices away. For example, I need a traction map for Rigs of Rods to simulate different ground surfaces. This is just as easy as adding a layer output to the texturing macro, and then adding the layers together. So, the wiring functionality of World Machine really makes it compatible with so many more programs than other limited terrain editors."
- "I use World Machine exclusively both for texture and terrain generation for my project. It's brilliant procedural methods allow me to generate both height and textural data with a single click. It has been an indispensable tool!"
Steven (Smoth) Smith, Hobbyist
- "World machine is hands down the most powerful heightmap editor you can possible use for creating maps for any current RTS game."
- "World Machine is quick to learn and straps no limits on your creativity and artistic vision. A very well thought out piece of software...one of the best!"
- "World Machine is easy to understand and to handle,you can get beautiful Landscapes in no time and export it to different kind of software,no matter what you use to render your work,there are enough formats to choose from."
- "Not only is it highly functional, but it's tremendous fun too!"
- "Does me nicely! I am building worlds that I have previously visualised and described in the RPGs that I run. WM lets me build the scenary that I described with accuracy and greater detail. I can then produce illustrations to show my players."
- "When I discovered there was a really capable tool for creating terrains which could be used in Terragen I knew I had to investigate. ... I couldn't believe I had actually found a tool which was even more addictive than Terragen, and which also enhanced the addictiveness of Terragen by arming me with some very high quality real/unreal looking terrains and bitmap overlays. This was heaven!! I would spend literally weeks/months working on World Machine with a huge smile on my face, looking to create my own worlds as well as custom macro's which would make it all so much easier for future builds."
Jeff Brown (morbidorbits)morbidorbits.deviantart.com
- "I have used World Machine on a number of film projects and find it an invaluable asset for environment creation."
Digital matte painter
- "I've been using heightfield generators for years, both professionally and as a hobbyist. When World Machine arrived with it's cool erosion techniques it was the answer to my prayers. No other software managed this with such ease and the results speak for themselves. I've never used anything else since!"
Paul Carrick, Artistwww.jawltd.com
- "It's symply great! I could not do my matte paintings without it."
Bodo Keller Visual FX artist
- "The best terrain generator we have found!"
Douglas R. Siefken, TransLumen Technologies
- "the flexible node based procedural approach WM2 helped me to go through a lot of revision quite quickly on our last HP project, without having to remodel the pieces manually."
frederic hopp, eightvfx
- "Worldmachine is a great help when it comes to create landscapes of all kind."
Jan Walter Schliepwww.wallis-eck.de
- "Terrain rendering software is great at what it does, but sometimes lacks sophisticated height map editing and generating tools. This is where World Machine comes in. It's easy to use, crazy powerful, and the node based setup helps build heightmaps while enhancing the user's understanding of what happening behind the scenes."
Daniel Rubel, Flash Game Hobbyistztcenter.net
- "World Machine has allowed me to quickly and efficiently create massive game areas both terrestrial and otherwise. The feature set and work flow get better with each release. A must have tool for any environmental artist."
Jordan Edell, Senior Artist @ Specular Interactive
- "WM2 is easy to use and generates awesome results. I can mock up a terrain for use in Unity in minutes, and then keep adding detail as I develop the game, in parallel.
Matt Sickle, Game Designer
- "Creates great landscapes for Terragen, Vue, Carrara 8 pro, and blender."
- "World Machine is the most satisfying piece of software of its kind. I love the nodal idea and the vast possibilities it offers, and the numerous bitmap outputs available make further texturing a pleasure."
- "World Machine's layout generator puts it head and shoulders above other terrain generation apps for me - being able to work with specific shapes instead of endless tweaking of procedural algorithms to get the desired shape for terrain is a godsend."
- "World machine is fantastic - the node driven interface gives a lot of opportunities to fine tune and get exactly what you want for multiple resolutions.
- "We use World Machine to improve painted heightmaps and get awesome looking terrain ingame, thank you Stephen for this amazing tool!"
David Wahlberg - Level designer at the Forgotten Hope 2 mod teamhttp://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de
- "WM is the fastest way to create natural and beautiful terrains... Just perfect for my several projects! "
Yongkiat Karnchanapayap, Managing Director PMVX Visual Effects
- "Creating believable terrains very intuitive and in no time. That's world machine, just good fun and flexibel to hook up into your workflow."
- "World Machine works well with our proprietary terrain editor in that we can not only create height maps, but alphas for our terrain paint layers as well. This saves a bundle of time and with results that look more detailed and professional. In addition, World Machine aids us in creating our additional terrain mesh and textures not covered by our proprietary editor."
Rebecca Shearin, Senior Environment Artist, Electronic Arts
- "World machine has all the tools I wish Vue had. The ability to work intuitively creating highly believable, natural landscapes with literally millions of possibilities is extremely satisfying."
Peter Plantec, Contributing EditorStudioDaily.com
- "I have been using World Machine since version 1.25 and haven't found anything else that can compete for ease of use, versatility and stunning results."
Pete Swoboda, 3D Designer
- "World Machine is the most powerful and realistic terrain generation software I've ever seen. It's been instrumental in several projects and, being a standalone application, complements both 3dsMax and Vue Infinite."
Alejo "Mr. Bluesummers" Grigerawww.MrBluesummers.com
- "There really isn't anything quite like it in the world!"
- "I use WM2 with Unity 3D with great success, it's just brilliant."
Lasse Westmark, Environment Artistblog.lasse-westmark.dk
- "I just want to say thank you for this amazing software ... I have been blown away by some of the things that it is capable of and how fast you can create landscapes with it!"
Got a story?
If you're a happy World Machine user, give us a hand spreading the word about WM! Your testimonial may be featured on the World Machine website.
Not only are you doing a good deed for us, but we'll include a link to your personal or project website to increase your exposure.
Send us an email telling about your work to submit!